Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Beginning

It all started 4 months prior. I had been running and found it more and more difficult with each passing week. I also was noticing that I was becoming winded just by carrying laundry or talking on the telephone. But, I am more stubborn than I'd like to admit. I just assumed I was anemic and that it was normal for a young mother to experience complete exhaustion. Throughout the years I managed my tiredness with naps with the kids. But, they were growing and naps weren't on the agenda. As the weeks passed my 2-3 miles were taking longer and longer. Then one day running I felt a tear across my chest. I thought what was that? I slowed down and then the vomiting hit. Boy, I though you are really pushing yourself. I was foolish to brush my symptoms off. I, who am in the medical field failed myself. After that day my symptoms started progressing with much intensity. My occasional dizzy spells(which I ruled it to be due to low blood pressure) were more and more frequent. I started thinking about my bed as soon as I awoke. My shortness of breath was more intense. I found myself almost falling to the floor climbing one flight of stairs. Still, I was in denial! I'm 30, I'm the ultimate picture of health I though. Over the next few weeks I kept bargaining with myself. One more episode, then I'll call the doctor. The bargaining continued until one day at work. I was speaking to a co-worker who has cardiomyopathy. She was explaining her symptoms. Mine sounded so similar. So, I confided in her. She sat with me until I called my doctor. I was able to get an appointment for the following day. I didn't realize that in that moment I would be labeled "very sick" for almost an entire year. My life changed completely and will never be the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment