Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Mis-Diagnosis

I was to get my echo the following week on a Thursday. My 30 min. echo turned into 2 hours. The ultrasound tech told me he saw some abnormalities but nothing serious. But, he also stated he saw something he had never seen before and it was probably nothing. I went home thinking that if something was seriously wrong a cardiologist would have called me immediately. Unfortunately, in my gut I knew something wasn't right. Something had to be making me feel this bad. Friday I actually thought about going to the ER, but afraid of being embarrassed again I didn't. Besides I was working the next day and I could pull up my echo report at work for reassurance.
As I scrolled down the lengthy report I was horrified. Leaky valves, pleural effusion, ASD, PFO, septal deformity, and lastly the word ANEURSYM. I couldn’t move. I was in front of people and didn’t want to freak out! Can someone come hear I asked? They all read and were coming up with their own theories trying not to alarm me. Some even cracked jokes (medical professionals tend to do that in times of stress). I made a few phone calls but knew I wouldn’t get answers on a weekend. I’d call my doctor on Monday. Why didn’t they call me you ask? Well, the report wasn’t even read till early Friday evening after office hours had closed. I made a few phone calls to my husband, my sister and my friend. I thought talking would calm me. It worked for awhile. Throughout the day my symptoms worsened probably the stress kicking in. Finally, the charge nurse asked me what is going on with you, you look awful. I told her about how I’d been feeling and handed her my echo. She told me I had to go to the ER she couldn’t allow me to work for my own safety. I told her I would think about it. I eventually went to the ER after my shift was over and after talking to one of the ER doctors who wanted to ship me directly to another hospital. Shifts were over and I was turned over to another ER doctor who wanted to check me out first before sending me to another hospital. I didn’t know him well and reluctantly agreed. I didn’t want to be seen by a doctor and staff who I worked with. What would happen if nothing was wrong with me and it really was anxiety how embarrassing. All labs were ok, x-ray was ok, HR was way high and I was having arrhythmias.......

Insert-*I have decided to keep the events that occurred during that time private..I understand that I have shared them before, but it was an extremely difficult time and I would rather leave the past in the past and move forward*

I was suppose to be admitted Monday morning to another hospital nearby. As I was just getting tucked in and labs were being drawn in walks another physician with a confused look. It turned out the ER physician was just reading off the echo report as I had. He wasn't a cardiologist nor, would I expect him to be. The echo report was dictated wrong! It was an honest mistake. My septal wall is very fatty and changes in pressure along with shadowing gave it the appearance of an aneurysm. Was I mad? No, I was so thankful! There were some abnormalities, but we could wait later in the week to discuss them after I had a few restful days! The discharge nurse really fought the new admitting doctor to keep me, but I was just relieved I wouldn't be dying anytime soon and wanted to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment