Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Diagnosis Attempt

My appointment was on that Wednesday. Two days from my misdiagnosis. They were not restful at all. I had an syncope(passing out) episode the following night. I had been exhausted and woke from my sleep to hear my daughter having a nightmare. I ran to her room forgetting about my issues. I was fearful she would wake her sleeping little brother. After settling her back down I started back to my room, stopping by the bathroom to splash water on my face. That's the last I remember. I awoke on the floor with the water still running and blood dripping from my forehead and upper lip. No, I didn't want to go to the ER. I was not very trusting of my fellow physician at this point. I was feeling better now. It could wait one more day!
When I arrived to my appointment the doctor was running over an hour late. Great, I thought, "I'll never get answers because he'll be in too much of a rush to listen. The doctor greeted me with a hug and an apology. He did listen and very intently I might add. He sent me immediately for a stress test. It was suppose to last at least 20min. But, mine lasted two. Within 30 seconds my heart rate increased from 102 to 170. Some arrhythmia's were occurring and my oxygen level dropped to 86%. The RN performing the exam called for additional help. The doctor was also immediately called in. The doctor came in with a model of the heart. This can't be good I thought! He stated I had a defect somewhere within my heart and wanted to admit me ASAP.
I was admitted and had three days of every test possible even ones I had never heard of before. I was poked and scoped; I was given contrast and gases. I was x-rayed and ultra sounded head to toe. After three days in walks the doctor. Anne, he said, “I just don’t know what is wrong”. You have a family to think about and I want to get you treated as soon as possible. I will be sending you to Johns Hopkins they’ve been having a pow wow about you and will find the answers out for you! I was exhausted. I couldn’t believe that after three days, all those test, and with today’s medical knowledge no one could give me answers. Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment